Non-functional and functional requirements are the sides of the same coin. We cannot ignore the non-functional requirements as they are potentially competent in degrading the standards of the product.
The main aim of the Shopify application and web design is to satisfy the needs of the customer and meet business requirements. Quality is what the customers look for in Shopify application and web design and hence focus should be on the process rather than the outcomes. The clarity of the functional requirements defines the flow of the process.
Non-functional requirements and functional requirements are the sides of the same coin. We cannot ignore the non-functional requirements as they are potentially competent in degrading the standards of the product. The delivery of high-quality Shopify applications and web design is an intricate process as it directly affects the stakeholders involved.
Let us explore together the functional and non-functional requirements of any Shopify application and web design. Further, we would also understand the differences between the two.
Functional Requirements :
SRS (Software Requirements Specifications) or FS (Functional Specifications) defines the behavior of the system and also the functioning of the Shopify application and web design. These documents are termed Functional Requirements. The SRS is a document that defines the layout and technical terms/parameters on which the software is to be designed. There are several methodologies available in the industry to write and construct functional requirements documents.
Types of functional requirements in SRS:
- Business Rules - What features do you want to embed in your system?
- Operations on Transactional data - It aims at examining every transactional entry, modification, and deletion of data entry.
- Authentication and Authorization - The concern is regarding the security at different levels and provision of authority to users to apply CRUD (Change, Read, Update and Delete) on operations.
- Audits - The tracking of critical data and various authority checks performed.
- Historical data - The exponential growth of data needs to be managed effectively and stored.
- Backup and Recovery - If the system crashes and the data wipes out then the mechanism for backup and recovery is a savior.
- Compliance, legal and regulatory requirements - Governance regulations, internal policies, and laws that are centralized within the organization.
Functional requirements more have to do with the quantity factors of the Shopify application and web design developed. The focus is the ‘WHAT’ here rather than the ‘WHY’.The parameters for measurement are quite easy to define and are pretty straightforward.
Use cases and user stories help us define the functional understanding/perception of the design Shopify web design.
Generic quality attributes that describe the characteristics of a Shopify application and web design developed are called as Non-Functional Requirements.
The various Non-Functional Requirements are broadly classified in various constraints as
- Lifetime requirements
Non-Functional requirements focus on the ‘HOW’ aspect of system functionalities. It is also driven by user experiences and the ability of users perception about the Shopify application and web design. The definition is a bit difficult and doesn’t have direct measures to identify the performance.
Below enlisted are a few non-functional requirements:
- Usability - user’s ability to interact or communicate with the product/software
- Reliability - sensitivity in handling the data and information
- Performance - speedy interactions with the user are the new normal
- Error handling - the ability of the system to withstand error
Points to be considered while writing functional documents :
- Functional decomposition is a must-have element as it breaks the complex functions to be performed in small iterations and goalposts making them attainable and manageable.
- Keep the requirements short and crisp
- Minimal usage of technical terms and jargon
- Use subjective and task-oriented phrases
- Imperative phrases should always be preferred
- To make the document more exhaustive below sections should always be added in high-level estimates and statement of work documents:
- List of deliverables
- In Scope
- Out of scope
Let us wrap up our discussion on the functional and non-functional requirements of a Shopify application and web design. We are at a conclusive point that both are equally important for defining the success of the project. It defines the layout and the backbone for the development of the business plan. Despite the project delivery the post-production support and performance is equally vital and important. We have a team of professionals having adept knowledge on gathering business requirements and documenting a business plan.hire shopify web developer for ecommerce web development.